Got some leftover pumpkin puree or filling after thanksgiving?? Make these light, airy, cute Pumpkin Maple Mini Cakes with Maple Cream Cheese glaze. They are perfect for tea time or breakfast!
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends! And to all my American friends, aren’t you guys just loving the excited thanksgiving feels coming from your neighbours up here? What do you guys love to eat on thanksgiving? Is it the turkey or the trimmings? What is your least fav dish that you are glad you only have to put up with once a year? Do you love thanksgiving or is it just newbies to North America like me, getting all pumped up about it!
We had our turkey feast on Saturday and I thought that was very wise because that gives us two days to digest and relax and get back to the work- week. But then we had more guests on Sunday night and we had a second completely fresh feast and then today I ate so many leftovers, it almost feels like another feast. Atleast I didn’t have to cook or clean up. But then I remembered ‘oh no it is Monday and I need to get the blog post out’ so here I am… punching away. Recovery time = almost zero! And yet I love every moment of it. Planning the meals, cooking them, and now I am thinking of re-purposing leftovers. Because reheating mashed potato is yuckkk!
If you follow me on Instagram, you probably caught a glimpse of the delicious Pumpkin Walnut Cake by my Canadian insta- friend Betty! It was so good that even a pumpkin novice like me, enjoyed it. That makes me think I may only have an issue with pumpkin pie (maybe?). Since a bit of pumpkin puree was leftover, (and since I a giving pumpkin baked goodies a proper chance before signing them off), I decided to re-purpose it into Pumpkin Maple mini cakes that are cute and great for breakfast or tea time. After all it is festive season and such things as tea-time entertaining is common. And lets just add a touch of Cream Cheese Maple Glaze onto these minis. And then lets just toast some pepitas and sprinkle them on for a green pop of color and a toasty crunch! If you have some pumpkin puree leftover, maybe give it a try!
- You can also use leftover pumpkin pie filling in this recipe. Maybe use just ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice if using pie filling.
- I have a Wilton mini cakes pan that I cannot find on their site or anywhere now. But you can use jumbo muffin pans or mini bundt pans or a 6” cake pan. Adjust timings accordingly.
Pumpkin Maple Mini Cakes
Ingredients – 4 jumbo muffin sized cakes / 6 mini bundt cakes / a 6” cake
2/3 cups (90g) all purpose flour
¼ cup (40g) almond flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 – 2 tsp pumpkin spice
¼ cup packed (150g) brown sugar
¼ cup scant (50g) maple syrup
½ cup heaped (150g) pumpkin puree
1/3 cup (69ml) veg oil
For the Maple Cream Cheese glaze
¼ cup (2oz) cream cheese – softened
3tbsp maple syrup
2tbsp icing sugar
pinch of cinnamon
few toasted pepitas
Bake the cakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the pan of your choice very well.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin puree till combined. Add the oil and whisk till smooth.
- Add 1/3 of the dry mixture to the wet pumpkin mixture and mix just until smooth. Fold in rest of the dry mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20 mins for mini bundts, 25 mins for jumbo muffin size and 30 – 35 mins for 6” cake pan. Let cool in pan for 10 mins before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before pouring the glaze on.
- For the Maple Cream Cheese Glaze – Whisk all the ingredients together till smooth. (sift icing sugar to avoid lumps). Pour onto the mini cakes, once they are completely cooled.
- Sprinkle the toasted pepitas.