Simple, warm, spongy Mini Spiced Zucchini Loaves made with spelt flour, go perfectly with afternoon tea but are even better when slightly toasted with morning coffee!
Why do we food bloggers work so hard and put in so much effort to develop recipes? Recipes that already exist in one form or another! I mean why are there so many chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookie recipes out there? And countless brownies and numerous pumpkin pies and myriad banana and zucchini breads?
Is it because all those chocolate cakes disappointed you and so you decided you had to alter it to your palate? Or because you are a creator by nature and you simply had to contribute something that was yours to the internet universe?
I asked myself these questions not while attempting my third mini spiced zucchini loaf but later while eating what
seemed like my 50th piece (it really wasn’t). I couldn’t put my finger on it?
Pinterest is full of zucchini bread, cake, muffin recipes and I can easily open any one of them and bake it. After all someone needs to do the testing as well, right? Ok granted that I wanted to use a slightly healthier mix of spelt and whole wheat. I am pretty sure that lives on some hard-working bloggers baking blog as well. I didn’t even look for it. I was simply determined that I must make my own.
So, 3 attempts later, where I started with a Spiced Apple Zucchini Buttermilk Cake with various other things in it, to this stripped down simpler version, I am left with a bunch of mini loaves in my freezer. I wouldn’t call them failures, they were all pretty tasty, just not the perfect texture. So, you can send me your address and maybe I can mail you early thanksgiving goodies? I might actually wrap them up in some brown paper and twine and bring it to friends and family. It is simple, warm, moist, spongy and goes perfectly with afternoon tea but is even better when slightly toasted with morning coffee!
- The recipe is pretty forgiving, I tried it with all purpose flour, less spelt and even one bowl method. All produced good results.
- The loaves freeze well and stay moist even after two days on the counter. Keep wrapped.
- If you are looking to replace white all purpose flour in your recipes, this is a brief guide to start off with by Giselle of Exsloth
Mini Spiced Zucchini Loaf
Ingredients – 4 loaves
102g (2/3 cup + 3tbsps) spelt flour
66g (½ cup) whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp ginger
pinch of all spice
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
90ml (½ cup) oil
100g (½ cup) brown sugar
46g (3tbsp) granulated sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1¼ cups grated zucchini
- Heat oven to 350F. I use silicone mini loaf molds, if you are using metal ones, butter and dust with flour, or line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients – the flours, salt, spices, baking powder and soda
- In a small bowl whisk the oil with the sugars, add eggs one at a time, and the vanilla. Whisk till combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon till smooth batter forms. Lastly fold in the zucchini.
- Pour equally into the moulds and bake for 28 – 30 mins or till inserted skewer comes out clean.